Friday, August 19, 2022

Encouraging Others

Two days after arriving in RI, I started attending the English Conversation Group at Cranston Public Library, and it has been a great experience.

I didn’t know I would get the chance to invest my time in such an important activity for free, nourishing my mind and sharing it with amazing people and excellent teachers.

Since my fiancé and I decided to step up our relationship and get married, I always had improving my English in mind and maybe going back to college in order to have better communication and be prepared to get a good job like the one I had in DR. Participating in the English class, I also got the opportunity to do an MOS certification, offered by RWU and the PPL, and that definitely will help me in my job searching process.

Like me, there are a lot of Latin immigrants in the USA trying to have a better life, but sadly, many of them don’t speak English, not even the basics. You can find people struggling in places where the employees don’t speak their language, like the guy I helped in Sally Beauty Supply. He was trying to buy an electric shaver replacement part and didn’t know how to explain to the saleswoman exactly what he wanted.

I wish they were as lucky as I was, and had someone to encourage them to learn. I really feel thankful. That’s why I decided to share my experience with others, and talk to them about the English class. Besides, I send links and information about YouTube channels to those who maybe don’t have time for the library's class schedules. I try to convince them how investing their time wisely, instead of wasting it watching videos or non productive things, will be better. They only need to focus on learning a couple of words daily or weekly. The idea is to motivate them, because encouraging others to do their best is a way of giving back what we’ve gotten for free.
~
Ogalis Hernandez - Dominican Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Evolution in English

In January 2023, my husband and I decided that we had to leave Cape Verde and try to find better support for our son in the USA. Due to his ...