Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Rabbit Rabbit

An example of a superstition is if you say the phrase “Rabbit Rabbit” as your first two words to people on the first day of the month. Then it will bring you good luck for the rest of the month. I heard this from a weekly chat group in the US.

It is a conversation group I joined a few years ago. We can talk about anything or share our daily life experiences. We are from different countries, and working to improve our English skills through talking. One day in the meeting, a Japanese girlfriend told us about this superstition, “Rabbit Rabbit”. When I heard about this, I immediately had to ask if it was true. That was a magical and interesting thing and we wanted to know more, but no one knew. So, we talked for a while and then changed to other topics.

After the meeting, I researched this “Rabbit Rabbit '' rumor on the internet and finally found more information. The phrase comes from an old English tradition. Even Mr. Franklin D. Roosevelt, the President of the US, also said that phrase every month for good luck. I couldn’t fact-check it. But I would love to believe it works.

Since then, I have tried to say “Rabbit Rabbit” to someone every month. The feeling was so exciting and fresh. Maybe it’s because I am assuming I’m going to be lucky, so I feel comfortable – like something is protecting me.

Even now, saying these two words is an important task for me. I mark it on my calendar. On each last day of the month, I write a couple of Post-it notes on my desk to remind me to say them. Sometimes, I feel like I am a magician who knows how to say magic words. Feeling cool!

~

Shuk - Hong Kong

3 comments:

My Almost LostJourney

I want to share with you my story about my almost lost journey. It was 10 years ago when I studied in Russia. I had to go to pass exams two ...