Wednesday, April 10, 2024

My Evolution in English

In January 2023, my husband and I decided that we had to leave Cape Verde and try to find better support for our son in the USA. Due to his development delay, the doctors said he may have autism. At that moment, I started studying English by myself, every night after work. I already knew the alphabet, numbers, colors, some names of animals and utensils, but I didn´t know how to form sentences because I didn't have much contact with English during my life. I studied French in high school, and I did my graduation in Brazil, where the language is Portuguese. In a few months studying by myself, my English was better.

On August 14th, 2023, we arrived in the USA. On the same day, I asked my sister-in-law about an English course and she helped me. Nine days later, on August 23rd, I received the email from Miss Sabine, with the list of registration dates in September for new students. I did it and the assessment determined my level. I was intermediate. I was very happy and proud of myself, because I went from beginner to intermediate level, by myself, during my studies in Cape Verde.

I started classes on September 18th and three months later, in December, when I went to do the test again, my level score and the teacher Doug, in discussion with Miss Sabine, decided I should move up to the advanced level.

Today, I was able to talk with my children's teachers and the doctors (A DREAM THAT CAME TRUE), with some difficulty, but I was able to express and understand what they were saying to me. I still ask for a translator at the hospital because I'm not completely confident yet, but I can understand almost everything they say.

As you can see, one year and two months ago, I knew almost nothing in English.

To learn, we have to want and to work hard.

Believe in yourself, always!

~

Irana - Cape Verde

1 comment:

My Evolution in English

In January 2023, my husband and I decided that we had to leave Cape Verde and try to find better support for our son in the USA. Due to his ...