Saturday, August 13, 2022

A Thing Happened from the Early Morning

At the beginning of my life in Providence, I was walking my dog, Chelsea, and came across a neighbor who seemed to like my dog. She asked me a couple of questions.


"What shiny hair it has! Is it a boy or a girl?" she asked.


"Thank you!" I said. "It is a girl."


"Wow! So nice! Very cute! I have a cat but I like dogs too. Do you like cats?"


"Yes, I do," I told her, even though I don't really like cats. I didn't want to offend my neighbor.


"Don't you have a cat?" she asked.


"Yes, I don't."


"Is it a girl?"


"***???"


"How old is it?"


"***???"


I thought there was nothing to answer because I already told her that I had no cat, so I kept quiet without answering.


"Oh, it's okay. Never mind! Have a good one!" she said.


"You, too. Bye!" I told her.


At that moment, she was obviously flustered and quickly went away. A few minutes later, I realized what was wrong. It was because I answered in the wrong way to a negative question. Saying "yes, I don't" or "yes, I am not" is a Korean way to answer in the negative. I should have answered, "No, I don't." I didn't throw away my old habit of answering in a Korean way. It was a shame. I still make that kind of mistake in my English even now. How can I avoid mistakes caused by a different way of talking because of a different way of thinking?


Oh, my goodness! What a thing my English is!

~

Young - South Korea


1 comment:

My Evolution in English

In January 2023, my husband and I decided that we had to leave Cape Verde and try to find better support for our son in the USA. Due to his ...