Thursday, August 11, 2022

My Personal Success Story

I had to drive to Connecticut last November to meet my kids, 2 weeks after I moved here. They were visiting their aunt and cousins. I remember it was Wednesday before Thanksgiving day and we had set to join there for lunch. My fiance (now my husband) couldn’t go, so he let me take his car. He forgot to tell me that it was running out of gas and I noticed it the moment I started it.


Oh my Gosh! I said to myself. What am I going to do now? I have never ever bought gas on my own here, and there are only self service gas stations around. That 's ok! I said again to myself. You are a smart woman and this is not the most difficult thing you are about to do. You live here now, go and learn.


I stopped at the nearest station, placed the car in one of the filling areas and turned off the engine. Then I entered the store, cheered and smiled at the lady behind the counter. She replied to me with a candid welcome and smile, so I said: I need gas, I haven’t done it before, how does it work? She asked me how much I wanted, and after I paid, she explained to me what to do. I did it, filled my tank and had a wonderful trip.

~

Ogalis Hernandez - Dominican Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Evolution in English

In January 2023, my husband and I decided that we had to leave Cape Verde and try to find better support for our son in the USA. Due to his ...