Friday, September 2, 2022

Living in the United States vs Visiting the Country

Coming to the United States as a tourist is so exciting. You have so many places to visit, a lot of people wanting to meet you. Your vacation time is too short to do everything that you have planned. Sometimes you have to skip invitations because you won’t get the chance to attend. You are too busy enjoying being the guest. You only see the good part of the cake.

I have been traveling to the US as a visitor since 2006 and have always had a great experience. Every trip was amazing, full of joy, but living here is completely different. I had to make up my mind to start over. People are always in a hurry. Meeting your friends and family is not so easy due to schedules.

I have no close family here other than my husband and kid. All my relatives live in other states. My close friends work different schedules. Free time is usually spent on errands and taking care of personal things, leaving no time for seeing friends, especially during fall and winter. Those seasons are the most difficult to set with them. My siblings in the Dominican Republic work in their own business and have flexible schedules. My close friends used to have the same schedule. Then, when we planned to meet, we did without too many complications. Another fact to point out is that we lived in the same city

There are other things to mention that I thought were different and now I know they aren’t. For example, I thought driving would be difficult but it isn’t. At least in this state. New York is another story. Also, food is not so cheap if you like to eat healthy, and health care is not so easy to access, it seems, and medicine is kind of expensive, even more so if you don’t have insurance.

A positive thing to point out is education. In my area it is good. There is excellent follow-up to the students. The neighborhood is also quiet and safe. This is what I like the most. We can walk at any time without fear.

Here, there are better job opportunities than in my country, but people are less supportive at work. If you are used to treating your colleagues as family and are treated the same way, change the clip!

Even though I found considerable differences, I love living here, because as The Bible says, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” And here are my kid and husband.
~
Ogalis Hernandez - Dominican Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Evolution in English

In January 2023, my husband and I decided that we had to leave Cape Verde and try to find better support for our son in the USA. Due to his ...