Thursday, September 29, 2022

Making a Big Decision: Moving to US

Ending a 20 year marriage is a difficult step to take, but I did it and also survived on my own. After that, I took my time to think and enjoy the peace I was looking for. Then, almost 2 years later, I thought that I should open my heart again to someone who really deserves it. This time must be different at all. I prayed, as I used to, especially when I have to do something important. I put in God’s hand my partner, the one that He had in one place waiting for me. This was the beginning of a new and wonderful life.

The answer to my prayer came faster than I expected. My sister and her neighbor were talking about me and his son. They were planning to introduce us because they were sure that we would be an excellent match. They did it, and they were right. After a couple of weeks, we started talking. Later, he traveled to the Dominican Republic where we met and started a beautiful and trustworthy relationship. We spent almost 2 years traveling back and forth. We always talked about me moving to the USA because it was the most convenient for us both.

We talked several times about it, and finally I made the decision. It was not easy. I had to quit my job which was a great opportunity for my career. Also I had to leave my kids behind for a while. I had never been far from my family. We are so close. My dad, my mom, my siblings. My childhood friends. We are a small group that grew up together. I had to focus on the new chapter I was about to begin. It was a big decision to make, mostly because I knew that I'd have to wait for several months to be with my loved ones again. I’d have to start over. New friends, new language, new family, a new life.

Despite everything I had to leave in my country, I feel so grateful because my youngest son is living with us now. My husband is an excellent guy and a tremendous support. Part of my family, including my mom, my kids and my sister, could attend our wedding in Vegas, as well as some close friends. Thanks to technology, I feel close to my people. We are connected and talk almost every day.

Making big decisions is part of the living process. Sometimes we have to do it just taking into consideration what it really matters. In my case, my happiness, my peace and the man that God sent to my life to make me believe in love again were strong enough reasons.
~
Ogalis Hernandez - Dominican Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Evolution in English

In January 2023, my husband and I decided that we had to leave Cape Verde and try to find better support for our son in the USA. Due to his ...