Monday, October 3, 2022

Being an American Driver

Being an American driver is a little harder than in Nigeria. I was afraid to drive here because of the laws about driving, but I haven't had a choice because no one has time to take me wherever I want. My husband needs to go to work and my kids go to school. I also needed to go to the library to attend English class and go to stores. so I had to take an Uber wherever I went.

I made a decision to start learning how to drive with a family member who gave me a little confidence and helped make the journey fast. But guess what! I still have fear when I'm driving alone because of the police. That's why I couldn’t drive far away from my house until my daughter suggested driving school. It took me five good weeks. My tutor was very nice and calm, even though he didn’t show up at the beginning, but sent his wife to teach me but she was also nice.

I applied for a road test at the DMV after some practice. I was looking forward to the schedule. To be honest, I was a little nervous about waiting for another month. I was glad to go with my tutor and it was amazing to pass the test. Now I am bold enough and more confident to go wherever I want to by driving myself. I drive without fearing the police, and continue to obey the law to avoid attracting them.

It’s great to drive without calling an Uber or waiting for my husband before I go out. This made it easy for my youngest daughter to take a job during the holiday. I was able to give her a ride and pick her up when she was done at work. I'm looking forward to working as well.

Being an American driver is a great privilege, but without driving by yourself and speaking English, life will be hard to make your dream come true. Now I am the newest driver in my city and thank God things are easier for me. I also give thanks to my teacher, Jon, for encouraging and supporting me with my English.
~
Adesola - Nigeria

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Evolution in English

In January 2023, my husband and I decided that we had to leave Cape Verde and try to find better support for our son in the USA. Due to his ...