Monday, January 9, 2023

An American Driver

2 months after arriving in Cranston from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, my family seemed to be settled. My elder son joined 4th grade in elementary with the school bus pick-up and drop off. I got a job and started to get acquainted with the native English speakers' accents in daily communication. I had not driven a car before, therefore, my aunt had to take me to work every day. Getting a driver’s license inevitably became the next task in my plan.

I passed the written DMV test the first time I took it just by studying a little DMV handbook that my mother somehow had and gave to me. Then I searched for a driving school on the internet and had some sessions with Rose, a very knowledgeable senior instructor. However, I was extremely anxious on the day I took the road test. I did everything perfectly except for driving over the curb when I arrived at DMV. The front wheel climbed the curb. I was so nervous that I didn’t even recognize the issue. When the DMV examiner told me, I was too confused to fix it. He said sorry and marked me failed. I burst into tears right in front of him because it meant that I would bother my aunt for a longer time.

Now I think this issue was just “the final straw” for me after a long time being so full of stress and concentrated on getting things done perfectly since the day I decided to move to the U.S., i.e. so much complicated paperwork, preparing and packing luggage, a new environment, the language barrier, new job, kids school, medical registration, etc.

I had to call my uncle to pick me up. I hadn’t told anybody in my family when I left the house so my uncle didn’t know that I had taken the road test that day. I was really disappointed and feeling guilty. Even so, I texted my instructor immediately to schedule more driving lessons and patiently waited for the next road test.

Finally I made it. This time the DMV examiner said I did a great job and he couldn’t find any mistakes. I successfully got my driver’s license. Now I am able to drive to work every day, go shopping for groceries, and drive my children to the park, beach and libraries. Having a driving license not only makes many of my life tasks easier but also gives me freedom and independence. For the time being, I drive on local streets only because I am scared of highway traffic. Undoubtedly, that will be the next plan.

~
Xuan - Vietnam


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Evolution in English

In January 2023, my husband and I decided that we had to leave Cape Verde and try to find better support for our son in the USA. Due to his ...