Tuesday, January 17, 2023

The Best Ten Years of My Life

Usually, people remember with great nostalgia their childhood or youth years. Sometimes people think about their high school years and the love illusions we all had at some point. It has become widespread to say that “everything before was better." However, my experience is the opposite, I think the last ten years have been the best.

By December 2008, I had two jobs and was full-time in college. I made the decision to return to active military duty and volunteer to be in Iraq. I had everything planned: finish my studies that semester and leave my family for at least two years. I worked washing cars in a dealership and Borders, the bookstore. I always used my motorcycle because it saved me time getting to my jobs and university. On Saturday the 13th, I was heading to the bookstore at 4 am on my motorcycle. On the way, a drunk driver invaded my lane, and I had no choice but to jump so as not to be run over. When I fell on the road, I broke both legs. I was taken to the hospital, where I was stabilized. But they had to send me to the medical center in the capital because the only surgeons who could attend to that kind of emergency were there.

The Rio Piedras Medical Center is the largest hospital in Puerto Rico and the busiest at the same time. After 3 hours in an ambulance, we arrived at the emergency room where I spent almost 5 hours being treated. The hospital looks like a war zone. They receive all patients from Puerto Rico for all severe cases. Even though they had already prepared me for surgery, they postponed it. Every day, people arrive in worse condition, wounded by bullets, knives, suicide attempts, or car accidents. I spent eight days in the emergency room waiting for surgery on my legs. During those days I did not eat because at any time, I could go up to the operating room. My wife had to keep an eye on my medications. On several occasions, the nurses were confused by having so many people that they did not know what medication they were administering.

After the operation, I was sent home, and I couldn't move my legs. It was a nightmare to be able to enter my house. We improvised a ramp, and I stayed in the smallest room of the house. After 2 weeks, one morning I woke up with sharp chest pain. I was taken to the hospital and had an episode of pulmonary embolism. They transferred me by helicopter again to Rio Piedras, and I stayed there for almost a month. All my physical, mental and emotional health had deteriorated drastically. It took me almost a year to leave the wheelchair. All the doctors said I had permanent damage and would use a cane for the rest of my life.

However, during the months I was in bed, I asked my wife to set up my computer to learn a little about my physical condition. Reading several clinical cases, I realized what had happened. In all recovered cases, all patients had received surgery within hours of the accidents and physical therapy 4 or 5 days later. In my case, I spent more than a week, and the first physical therapy I received five months later. I didn't have the right medical care, and justice did nothing with the drunk driver. I lost the opportunity to return to the military, my college graduation, and the debts piled up.
After having studied many cases. I decided not to go back to the doctors and make my own physical therapy and training plan. I started going to the gym, sometimes going three times a day. But after all that work, I only saw a slight improvement. I added Krav Maga, kickboxing and Muay Thai classes. Even with everything I did, my legs did not gain the strength and the necessary balance to not depend on a wheelchair or cane. However, one day at the gym I felt different. I was confused because the day before, I had tried to lift 20 pounds with my legs, and I couldn't as usual. But that particular day I lifted 80 pounds. It was something that motivated me a lot. At that moment, I had returned much of the strength of my legs and a little balance. It was something that gave me a lot of encouragement.

Months later, I ran the famous 10k of Teodoro Moscoso. With much of my recovery, I decided to finish college and then do my master's degree. I quit collecting Social Security and started two jobs again. The University hired me and helped my brother open a food business. I dedicated myself to caring for my son 24/7 since my wife had decided to join the army. I also dedicated myself to learning about masonry, plumbing, and electricity and repairing computers and electrical appliances. I improved my skills as a mechanic and also dedicated myself a little to agriculture.

Because my wife was busy with her job as a teacher and the army, I became a handyman who knew how to cook, wash, iron, fix things, and at the same time do research and write essays and monographs. My son became a swimmer, and I also did volunteer work as a coach. In the last ten years, I learned things I did not imagine doing. My son became one of the best swimmers in PR, and my wife has had different accomplishments, including being the first female Chief Warrant Officer of engineering in Puerto Rico.

In my profession as a librarian, I have been fortunate to work in different types of libraries. I completed two additional post degrees and currently work with the US Naval War College library. With this work, I believe it is my second chance to serve in the military. Something I learned in these ten years is that all changes are learning opportunities and doing everything possible to make the days different. I enjoy being wrong (which is not very popular, especially among Puerto Ricans who think they know everything), because it is a chance to start over and learn. I like to wake up as a student and go to bed as a teacher and start over again the next day. I always dream of my retirement working every day. And the day I die, I want to do it with my boots on.
~
Jeffrey Merle - Puerto Rico

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Evolution in English

In January 2023, my husband and I decided that we had to leave Cape Verde and try to find better support for our son in the USA. Due to his ...